Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Can You Relate?

I've been reading through some Old Testament stuff, looking to dig in rather than glaze over. Here's one story that stood out. King David had a son named Adonijah. I like to call him Donny. Or maybe Don. Anyway, his dad is getting really old. So Donny decides that he will be king. He ignored the fact that David had many sons and he wasn't really next on the list to be king. Donny organizes a parade and invites only the people he knows will support him. He sacrifices animals and throws a party so everyone will see that he is going to be the next king. However, his pride catches up with him, David names Solomon to be king, and Donny is put to death because of his deception and arrogance.

Unfortunately, I can relate to Donny. There are many times when I try to work things into my favor, even in times when I know I shouldn't. I don't want to listen to others who disagree with me. My selfishness takes over. I don't want to wait on God's timing. Sometimes, it seems He takes too long. Other times, He prompts me to do something, and I have to "pray about it" (when actually I'm stalling because it's an inconvenient task). I get ahead of God or wander off the path into trouble. No wonder we're compared to dumb sheep in some verses. I want to learn how to live in step with God. Not in front or behind. But right beside the loving shepherd.

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified its sinful nature. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."
Galatians 5:24-25

0 comments: