Saturday, March 27, 2010

Jesus Ain't No Doormat

Growing up, I always pictured a gentle and meek Jesus. A man who turns the other cheek, heals the sick, and loves children. But that's only one part of who he is. The more I get to know him, I now see another facet of Christ- as a strong and powerful warrior. In Matthew he said, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." One of my favorite pictures of Christ is him walking through a crowd that was ready to throw him off a cliff (Luke 4:30).

There are many examples in the Bible where Jesus seems a bit harsh, much different from the usual depiction. A man wanted to say goodbye to his family before he left to follow Jesus and was told, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Another time, Jesus said to his friend Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." When Jesus saw the temple being misused, he drove the money changers away by making a whip and overturning tables.

I begin to picture Jesus more like the Incredible Hulk or a UFC fighter. He has high standards, and rightly so. After all, he died a painful and horrible death so that we could be saved. Not so we could have a nice house, lots of money, and no worries. Too often we are more concerned about this life, when we should be concentrating on the next one. Sometimes, I need a good confrontation when I'm screwing up or not doing the right thing. Here are some Jesus quotes that really hit home:

Anyone who loves _fill_in_the_blank_ more than me is not worthy of me.

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. (FYI-If you are reading this, you are rich. If you are reading it from your iPhone...)

Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

It's interesting that Jesus mostly taught through parables. The first one, Parable of the Sower, is a great read. Check it out in Matthew 13. I believe he does it to see who is truly seeking him. There are a lot of pretenders who say they believe in God, but live like he doesn't exist. (If this sounds like you, please read The Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel. And no, I don't get any commission from supporting the book.)

There are so many times when I take my eyes off of Christ. Trouble or persecution comes, and I lose my focus. Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." He doesn't promise us a smooth ride during this lifetime. But he does promise a safe landing.

I watched a UFC fight a while back. One of my favorite fighters beat his opponent. It wasn't an easy fight. He was bruised and banged up. But afterwards this tough man walks over, picks up his daughter, and hugs her. This is how I picture Christ. He could've quit. Had angels take him down from the cross. But he didn't. Jesus didn't tap. He is reaching out to those who would call on his name. Have you responded? Have you put your trust in him? Have you given him your whole life? There's no better time.

Happy Easter!

0 comments: