Monday, June 8, 2009

Bath & Body Works! It really does!

Wow! It's almost been a month since my last blog entry. I'm sure you've missed me oodles and bunches!

So I went to the Heritage Park mall recently. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically dying (like a cat near a Chinese restaurant). There are only a handful of stores left. Grass is growing up around the entrances. Scary hooded men are lurking in the parking lot. Normally, I wouldn't go to these types of places, but I needed my Japanese Cherry Blossom foaming soap from Bath & Body Works. Gotta have it. Even if it means imminent danger.

I parked close to the door. Locked the car. Twice. Checked the parking lot for thieves and murderers, then entered the building. Almost every shop was closed down. Metal bars blocked their entrances. No lights inside the stores. There was no sign of life until I reached Bath & Body Works. Bright sunny lights welcomed you into the store. It was like night and day. Scary and unscary. Hooded men and apron-wearing ladies.

After I bought a few (or 12) bottles of soap, I walked out of the store and returned to my car. Then I had a reflective moment on the situation: The world resembles the mall. Much of it is dying. Many lights are off. Bath & Body Works could've closed down too. They could've said "What's the use in staying here?" But, they chose to keep the store open anyway. They continue to work to bring in customers. They have the heart of a fighter. Many times when things are tough, we want to quit or back down. After all, the rest of the world is doing it. But I encourage you to persevere. It won't be easy, but we have a power on our side that is greater than anything in this world.

0 comments: