Monday, February 1, 2010

Romans Ch.5

Chapter 5 speaks of the peace we receive when we enter into a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Peace doesn't mean that you will no longer have problems or stress. Rather it is a security in knowing that God is there for you, and an assurance that one day you will spend eternity with Him. Paul says to rejoice in hope and also in suffering. He claims, "...suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." And if anyone had a right to complain about circumstances, it would be Paul. (Well, Job had a rough time too.) Too often we question God when bad things happen. Our suffering should not lead us to doubt, but instead to hope. I love this quote from my study guide on Romans, "Just as a resistance to a muscle strengthens it, so challenges to our hope can strengthen it."

When you accept Christ, you receive the power of the Holy Spirit. That is, God dwelling inside you! He set it up long before you even thought about loving Him. While I might not understand all of His ways, I know that He loves me. That I can get through anything because I have His power to rely on. Many times I've heard people misquote this verse, "God will not give me more than I can handle." Wrong!! Often He gives you more than you can take on, so that you have to lean on Him. His power is made perfect in our weaknesses. Just look at the rag-tag group of disciples Jesus gathered. They were just ordinary people who said yes. And when they received the Holy Spirit (the same one that resides in you and me), then they were able to do extraordinary things.

0 comments: