Friday, December 4, 2009

I Heart Myspace

"When you get a boyfriend, you'll stop hanging out with all your friends." Someone recently told me this and it made me cringe. I’ve been through so many friends that got married, you’d think they wrote the movie 27 Dresses about me. I realize it’s a part of the courtship process. The quiet moments spent with the person who could potentially become your #2. Learning their innermost thoughts, dreams, and ideas. But I never wanted to be That Girl. The girl who was all googly-eyed, opinionless, and couldn’t spend one night out of the week away from her man.

I need my space. Sometimes I need to be alone. Other times I need a girls night.
I also need chill time with God. I need to depend on Him, and Him alone. My future boyfriend or spouse is human. At some point he’s going to let me down, make me angry, or hurt me (hopefully, it’s unintentional). But I can always count on my Savior. He promises to never leave me nor forsake me. So very often I need to fill my Jesus tank.

I can’t say for sure, but I don’t believe I’ll stop hanging out with my friends once I start dating. It’s like a basketball player that trains for the big game. If you practice consistently, then chances are you will play well. If you don’t practice, you’ll probably go home a loser. And I hate losing.

So if you have any advice on keeping the balance of putting God first and your sweetie-pie second, please share your thoughts. I’d love to hear it.

0 comments: