Monday, April 20, 2009

Honk If You Love Jesus

So about a year ago I broke down and put one of those Lifechurch.tv decals on my purty lil Chevy Malibu. I'd hesitated putting the sticker up because I sometimes (not often, but once in a blue moon) do something stupid while driving. Having the decal adds pressure to be a better driver cuz I'm representing the church in a way. On my drive home from work, I had one of those Deep Thoughts moments. Enjoy.

Any time I let someone go ahead of me, they rarely see the sticker. But every stinkin' time I cut someone off in traffic (whether intentional or not), they see it. I mean every time! Illuminated by my brake lights as if to say, "You just got cut off by Lifechurch.tv. Have a blessed day!"
Sometimes doing good works is the same way. You can do something nice, and it never gets noticed. But the minute you do something rude, dumb, or otherwise, it sticks around for a long, looonnngg time. And then your family retells the story at holiday dinners. Uhh, yeah.

So do we stop doing the right thing because it goes unnoticed? Because we're underappreciated? Because someone else will do it? Because it's not-that-big-of-a-deal? No, as Christians we're called to be faithful in the small things. The person we let ahead of us in traffic may not see it, but the car behind me sees. Whether we like it or not, sometimes people are watching. And occasionally our acts are hidden from the rest of the world. But they are not hidden from God. He knows our hearts, our motives, our thoughts. When we begin to truly live for an audience of One, everything changes.

0 comments: