Saturday, August 2, 2008

God Moments (Part 1)

The first time I realized, without a doubt, God is real, I was on a mission trip to Mexico. My brother Justin was taking some people from his church to witness to a small Mexican village called Aldama. He asked me if I wanted to go, and I agreed. However, as the trip grew closer, my finances were dwindling. Because of the lack of money, I wouldn’t be able to go on the trip. Incredibly, Justin called me before I could tell him the sad news. He was calling to tell me that an anonymous donor wanted to pay for my trip. This was quite possibly the most generous gift I had ever been given.

So I humbly accepted and went on the trip. During our time there, I could sense the presence of God…but that wasn’t the kicker. One night the group was sitting around talking about the day and thoughts or ideas they could take back to their church. I was especially tired. I didn’t attend my brother’s church, so it didn’t make much difference to me what they were talking about. One man, Ken, was upset by some of the church members. “We need to tell them that they need to do this and that …” He continued on for a few minutes. I felt lightheaded for a second, and that’s when it happened.

The Holy Spirit began talking through me! My lips were moving. My vocal cords were producing sound. But I was not in control of it! “God, what is happening?” I thought as words continued to come out of my mouth. I can only compare it to being hypnotized. It was like sitting there watching yourself, when you can’t control your own actions.

After I stopped talking, my senses came back to me. Everyone was silent and staring at me. And I realized what I had just said. Not word for word, but the general idea was this: “Words mean very little. You need to show it in your actions. Be an example to others. ” Ken had tears begin to form in his eyes. “You’re right,” he said.

The next day Ken told Justin to tell me that my words had changed his life. I sat there speechless because it wasn’t my words, but the Holy Spirit speaking through me. He also told me that Ken was the anonymous donor that paid for the trip. Again, I was dumbfounded. God had used him to bless me, so that I could bless him back. That’s a full-circle blessing!

0 comments: