Friday, June 27, 2008

Wrecked & Broken

I was driving up I-35 from a friend's house, radio blaring and AC cranked up to keep me awake and alert. As I drove, I was thinking how few cars there were on the road. Many going the opposite direction, but I didn't pass a single car until right before the I-40 onramp. Red lights narrowed the 4 lanes down to 1. When I saw the police cars, I first thought they were doing car searches. I slowed down and began to process what was going on. An officer motioned for me to continue on. As I drove, my eyes swelled with tears when I saw what was left of this white car. The paramedics were working desperately to get inside the vehicle. My heart was pounding as I started to pray. Did the person or the people inside know Jesus? Did they have a relationship with their Creator? Where would they go if they died tonight? The lump in my throat tightened with each thought.

I have been reading the book 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper. It's about a man who was in a terrible car accident and was pronounced dead. He believes that he experienced Heaven. I started reading the book myself to decide if this guy was a quack or if there was truth to his story. From my perspective, I believe that he fully and honestly believes he went to Heaven. With that said, here's a remarkable passage from the book where his friend is talking to him.

If you saw a little kid run out in the street, you'd dash out there and try to save the child's life. Human nature is like that. We try to preserve life, and I will do that any time I get the opportunity. So would you...Yet here we are sitting in this place, surrounded by people, many of whom are probably lost and going to hell, and we won't say a word about how they can have eternal life. Something is wrong with us.

We're not guaranteed tomorrow. Car accidents have a way of making me realize that fact. If you're still on this earth, God has a reason for your life. Gradually, He's pulling me out of my comfort zone. My flesh fights back as He gently but firmly guides me. God is putting things on my heart that, honestly, I'd rather He find someone else to do it.

There are so many people out there in the world who are starving for Jesus. They don't know Him, but they sense that something's missing. It may be the person at work, or the Sonic carhop, or the ad exec in the fancy Beemer. Who is it in your life? Who is the person, that if they died tonight, would not know God? But more importantly, what are you going to do about it?

0 comments: